When Overwhelmed or Feeling Behind
By Terry Whalin @terrywhalin
As a writer, I often feel overwhelmed with the work. Or I feel like I’m behind with much yet to be done. These feelings are completely normal. If we are honest, each of us live in a big world with many opportunities. For example, there are books that we need to write and books we can write for others as a co-author or ghostwriter. There are many online and print publications where we can publish our stories--provided we read their guidelines and pitch the editor. With the explosion of podcasts, there are many of those opportunities to pitch, book and record. When you consider the possibilties, it’s easy to stare at it all and wonder which one to tackle next?
At Morgan James Publishing, each year we receive over 5,000 submissions and only publish about 150 carefully-selected books. Our system and how we work with authors is different from other publishers and not right for every author. For the last 14 years, I’ve spent many hours talking with authors and exploring the details to see if it is the right fit for a particular author and a particular book. I understand there are many publishing options. For my editorial work, there are always more emails to answer and submissions to process. At any given time, I have a large volume of emails that I’ve not answered.
As I think about my work as a writer, there is always more to be done. There are always more books to read and write about including writing book reviews. As writers, we are surrounded with interesting stories from others and experiences of our own to capture. I’ve discovered I always have more follow-up emails to send and phone calls to make.
How to handle these overwhelming and behind feelings? First, acknowledge the reality of your feelings and that each of us have these concerns. Then break large tasks into smaller ones. Every writer works on their book manuscript in small pieces. We write one sentence and one paragraph and one story at a time.
You may not have much time to pour into your writing project. Can you devote half an hour or fifteen minutes? Whether you find this time early in the day or late at night. Keep moving forward on it. If you write ___ words a day (fill in the blank with a specific number ) then eventually you will complete the manuscript for a book or a magazine article or a blog post or a query letter. Each of us have a different volume or number of words that we will write during a day.
As I emphasized in 10 Publishing Myths, many of the details of publishing are outside of anything that we can control. Also take 100% responsibility for your own success and continue moving ahead on your effort to reach new readers.
Also I encourage you to continually make new connections and renew your efforts the old ones. For example, on my computer and my phone, I keep track of birthdays and anniversaries. Each year, I reach out to them with a personalized message and this event gives me a fresh connection with these friends. In addition, throughout my day when they come to mind, I reach out to some of them at random. I don’t have any agenda other than getting an update and asking a simple question. I encourage you to take these sorts of actions as well.
With my work, I spend a lot of time sitting and not moving. One of the ways I get a change of pace is to exercise or to walk. I fit this activity into my life several times a week. It helps my mindset and physical situation.;
I change up my daily routine and activities. I continue to try new ways of reaching readers and my audience. If you need some ideas in this area, I encourage you to get a copy of marketing authority John Kremer’s 1001 Ways to Market Your Book. With over 700 pages, you can always find a new area to explore with your book.
The final way I would give you to ease the feelings of being behind or overwhelmed is to consider who is in charge of your life and decisions. Each of us only have one life. Many years ago, I learned this hymn Only One Life. The lyrics:
“Only one life to offer - Jesus, my Lord and King;
Only on tongue to praise Thee And of Thy mercy sing (forever);
Only one heart’s devotion - Savior, O may it be
Consecrated alone to Thy matchless glory,
Yielded fully to Thee.
Only this hour is mine, Lord - May it be used for Thee;
May ev’ry passing moment Count for eternity (my Saviour);
Souls all about are dying, Dying in sin and shame;
Help me bring them the message of Calv’ry’s redemption
In Thy glorious name.
Only one life to offer - Take it, dear Lord, I pray;
Nothing from Thee withholding, Thy will I now obey (my Jesus);
Thou who hast freely given Thine all in all for me,
Claim this life for Thine own, to be used, my Saviour,
Ev’ry moment for Thee.”
---
Whenever I am overwhelmed or feeling behind, I recall these words because I only have one life--and you only have one life. Make it count with your writing life.
What actions do you take when you feel behind or overwhelmed? Let me know in the comments and I look forward to reading them.
Tweetable:
New Podcasts:
In these articles, I’ve encouraged you to use PodMatch or some similar tool to book and record podcasts. Last week two more new podcast recordings launched:
Book coach and author Natasha Tynes (@NatashaTynes) and I spoke about publishing myths that cost authors money on the Read and Write with Natasha Podcast at:https://bit.ly/469G31c Watch on YouTube at: https://bit.ly/3SoI9a9 or Apple Podcast: https://bit.ly/3UcaEsf
Fortune and I spoke about 10 Publishing Myths: What Every Author Needs to Know on The Honest Mic Podcast. Listen at: https://bit.ly/4wJUELN
During my decades in publishing, I’ve heard the unrealistic expectations of writers. The reality is many aspects of the publishing process are outside of anything an author can control. I wrote 10 PUBLISHING MYTHS to give authors practical help. You can get decades of insights in 10 PUBLISHING MYTHS for only $10, free shipping and over $200 of bonuses.
Subscribe to Terry’s Newsletter:
During the last year, once a week I’ve been sending a short free newsletter. Just follow this link to subscribe. When you are added to the newsletter, you will receive a FREE 87-page Ebook which is packed with insights for every writer.
Get these articles on your email:
Since 2004, I have blogged about The Writing Life over 1,800 entries and one of the top 27 content writers. With this simple form, each week you can get my new articles, encouragement and insights at: https://t.co/W6uU64u6aA
Labels: author, editor, email, Morgan James Publishing, publishing, schedule, submissions, Terry Whalin, The Writing Life, When Overwhelmed or Feeling Behind




















0 Comment:
Post a Comment
That's the writing life...
Back to the home page...