____________________________________

Saturday, October 13, 2007


An Hour-Long Chat Workshop

In less than an hour, I'm going to be typing as fast as I can type in a virtual chatroom. It's part of the week-long Muse Online Conference which has been the vision of Lea Schizas and Carolyn Howard-Johnson. Last year was the first year for it and they had over 1200 people register and attend. This year over 1900 have registered to attend. They intentionally use the easiest and simple technology for participants with free tools. Many people who want to attend a writers conference can't get there either because of a physical disability or the expense or other factors.

As I looked over their teaching faculty, I didn't recognize many of the names. The conference is a worldwide reach with participants from around the globe at different times in different chat rooms. I have about 65 people who are registered to attend my workshop on Book Proposals That Sell. A short time ago, I sent each of these registrants, my two-page handout for our session. I gave them many more resources than we will be able to cover in our short time together. The format is simple. After a brief introduction, I will teach a bit of material on book proposals then answer questions from participants. The transcript from the chat isn’t stored any place but the handout is compiled into a free ebook which is sent to every registrant.

When I looked over the email addresses of today's participants, there were few names that I recognized which was a good sign to me that I'm reaching a new audience with my teaching about book proposals and publishing excellence.

My encouragement to you is to look for new avenues for your writing. It may be something online or something in print but always be looking for these opportunities. You never know where it could lead you for your writing. I have to get ready to type fast so I can cram the greatest amount of information into the hour-long workshop.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comment:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Lea Schizas - Author/Editor Left a note...

I want to thank you, Terry, for spending time with our attendees. Your one hour long chat was packed with information and links to help these writers better prepare what's ahead of them when it's time to begin writing their proposals.

I am looking forward to next year all ready and working with you once again. As a matter of fact, I had many emails asking me if you'll be back and the sighs were heard loud and clear when I told them, "I'll make sure he does." :)

Thank you.

Lea Schizas

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Jan Verhoeff Left a note...

Hi Terry,

I didn't get to attend your part of the conference, and my portion this year was on the forum. I enjoy teaching in the Muse Conference, because it's interactive and I learn as much as I teach.

I'm always amazed at the amount I learn from those who "need to learn the most" because they are just so open and sharing. It never fails to open my eyes to my own misconceptions about writing.

Everyone can learn something. Thanks for teaching!

Jan Verhoeff

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Lea,

I'm always glad to help out. As you know I had some doubts about such a conference but more and more I'm convinced it reaches some people who would not normally be able to come to a regular conference so they need quality teaching--and if I can add something to it, I'm glad to do it.

Terry

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...