____________________________________

Sunday, September 29, 2024


Failure To Be Consistent


   

By Terry Whalin @terrywhalin

Each week for years, Ive been writing these articles about the writing life and my work in publishing. With each article, my intention is to capture some important detail which I can use to encourage you in your own publishing journey.

In this piece, I want to admit a failure and a commitment to change and improve. Heres a reality in the publishing world, you can align most of the pieces of a project--but if you neglect or forget one step, it can affect the results. I compare it to following a recipe to bake a cake and leaving out a key ingredient, then wondering why the cake tastes strange and does not work. The same principle is true in the book business.

For many years, Ive gathered email addresses and have a newsletter list. Its one of the critical elements for every writer to connect with readers. An email newsletter is something you control as an author and is not a “rented” space like a social media site such as X or Facebook or LinkedIN. Repeatedly Ive learned that I have no control over these social media sites--especially when they change their rules and dont tell you (which happens often). 

Every author needs to create an email newsletter and gather email addresses then they need to consistently use their newsletter or send valuble information to their readers. Over the years, Ive worked hard to create various lead magnets or ways people will sign up for my newsletter. Ive grown my list and my visibility in the marketplace (all important steps for every writer).

Heres my confession in this piece and where Ive failed to be consistent: with an inconsistent pattern, Ive used my newsletter. Sometimes I go several months without sending anything to my readers. The experts say you cant overuse your email list. Im on a few lists which email daily. If it becomes too much then I unsubscribe. These same experts tell us if you use your newsletter too infrequently, your reader forget that they have subscribed to your list and dont open it or simply delete it when it arrives. 

In the past, Ive used my newsletter to promote a product where Im an affiliate or I use it to promote a new product or book. These are good uses for a newsletter but I was missing the consistent and steady use to my readers.

Heres another failure related to the details of my newsletter articles. I wrote each one on target and relevant to my readers but I included a variety of connections to other websites. This failure watered down the effectiveness of my communication and didnt help the reader focus and go to a single location or single resource.

From my years in publishing, I understand failure is a key part of the journey. Also when you fail, you need to learn and then change or make adjustments to your process. As a writer, Im committed to continuing to learn and grow--and I encourage you to take the same approach.

In recent months, Ive been taking Rob Eagars online course Selling Books on a Shoestring Budget. This course is currently closed but will open again next year. One of the advantages of taking Robs course is the ability to email him a question and get his answer. Its been great to have such a resource and insight. From this course, Ive learned how to pitch and appear on more podcasts. Its an ongoing process to pitch and appear on these events. Often these podcasts are recorded at one time then launched later. For example, I recently appeared on Hungry Authors Podcast and The Writing for Immortality Podcast

Also Robs course encouraged me to use my newsletter on a more consistent basis and to focus it with one link in each newsletter.  Ive started sending these newsletters on Wednesday and I begin each subject with [A Publishing Insight]. As of this writing, Ive sent newsletters for six straight weeks but Ive scheduled content for about a dozen newsletters. I will be creating more newsletters in the days ahead. In this consistent action for my newsletter, Im using one of the principles from The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy. If you make small changes on a consistent basis, they can compound to give you the success that you desire. 

Heres another key principle of the publishing journey. Its important to learn what others are doing and gain that knowledge. But that knowledge doesnt add anything to your life and work if you dont take action and apply it to your writing life. Keep taking action and some will fail but some will succeed. Its a journey not a defined path. 

Change is not easy but Im determined and a work in progress. Watch and see but also apply these principles of consistency to your own writing life and see if you find the success that you seek. There is not a straightforward road or path. If there were such a thing, then every book would be successful. Instead the process involves consistent experimentation, change and adjustment. Im commited to this process and hopefully you are as well. 

Are there areas of your writing life where you have failed to be consistent? Let me know in the comments below and how you are making changes. I look forward to reading your comments.

Tweetable:

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comment:

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...