____________________________________

Sunday, December 23, 2018


Five Ways to Gear Up Your Writing

Gear up you writing with these ideas
Often within the publishing community, there is a noticeable shift right before Thanksgiving through the New Year. Emails don't get answered or returned as promptly. Phone calls and messages are ignored (unreturned). I'm continuing to work with authors, get new contracts and sign authors throughout this season. The overall pace has been slower.

For example, this week, I had several authors who have received new Morgan James contracts tell me they wanted to hold off and revisit it after the first of the year. I told them that would be fine and made a note to reconnect with them in January.

I understand everyone has a different mindset and agenda often during the holiday season. When I worked at a publisher years ago, I recall spending at least a day or two signing Christmas cards to authors. These types of activities interfere with the normal course of the publishing business yet are important.

If you are facing this type of response, what do you do? In this article, I want to give you five ways to gear up your writing.

1. Write query letters and pitch magazines for assignments.  It depends on the publication whether you write a query or the full article. Whatever your strategy, select some magazines and get your material out to them. If you don't know what to write, I would encourage you to write personal experience stories since almost every publication takes this type of article.

2. Create a new proposal. Use my book proposal checklist to get some ideas. If you have a proposal which has not been sold, pull that proposal out and see if it needs revision or updating then plan a strategy to get it back out to more agents or different publishers.

3. Work on a new information product or new online course. Information products continue to sell and it's a way you as an author can create something independent from a publisher and add an income stream. If you don't know what I'm talking about, listen to this free teleseminar from Bob Bly and follow his advice.

4. Get some new speaking gigs for next year. What groups tie to your book? Can you send email pitches or make some phone calls to get new bookings? Don't forget local civic groups like the chamber of commerce or these types of groups.They are always looking for speakers and need what you have for them. It doesn't happen  you aren't pitching so take this time to be pitch.

5. Beef up your social media conections. Do you need a new twitter header or a new blog header? Then go over to Fiverr.com and search for someone who can do it inexpensively for you and get it moving. In a recent article, I mentioned about expanding my connections on LinkedIn (currently about 600 more than my last writing. You can take time to expand your connections and see if it turns up some new writing projects. From LinkedIn, I've had articles published and met new authors. I encourage you to take this time teo expand your social media.

I know I promised five ways but I'm going to add a bonus sixth one: Read a how-to-write book then apply the information to your writing life. Whether you purchase the book or get it from the library, you can use this season to expand your writing through reading.

Did you notice something consistent about each of these suggestions? Anyone can do them. It does not matter your skill level or your experience. The key is to take action and move forward during this season. If I can help you in this process, don't hesitate to reach out to me (my email and phone is on the bottom of the second page of this link).

What steps are you taking with your writing during this season? Let me know in the comments below.

Tweetable:

Discover five ways to gear up your writing with these ideas. (Click to Tweet)

 AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comment:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Miss Mollie's Musings Left a note...

Great ideas. I know being a home health nurse at Christmastime creates a Scrooge Spirit in me. I try to get in touch with doctors, who are off because of the holiday, and it is definitely that feeling of it's a poor excuse to ignore your patients.
Looking forward to 2019 and gearing up my writing. I have three days off and plan to get a jump on articles and poems. I'm praying I'm not on call with the writing group I just joined meets again. Or the leader doesn't have another emergency. I'm ready. It has been a long arid time, but oasis is around the mountain.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Mollie, thanks for this feedback. You are positioned well for the days ahead. One of the keys is to determine to keep going--in spite of anything that happens. I appreciate you and I'm cheering. Onward. Terry

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...