____________________________________

Sunday, January 25, 2009


Use Every Possible Marketing Tool

When it comes to selling books, I written about many different marketing tools in these entries on The Writing Life. If you read various books on marketing, you will quickly learn there is not one method for selling your book but many different paths to sell books.

One of the tools that I've been watching and learning about is video book trailers. I was unsure how to find the right person to create one for my new book, Jumpstart Your Publishing Dreams. Then I met Misty Taggart at Trailer to the Stars! Productions. She did a fantastic job of listening to my needs then creating this less than two-minute book trailer:

I'm thrilled to have one more tool in my arsenal to tell people about the availability of my book.

Every author needs to actively work at gathering the right resources. Some people will watch the book trailer that will never bother to act from a physical postcard. While it is reverse for other people, they will respond to the postcard in the mail and never go to their computer and watch the video trailer. In my view, you want to be in both areas to interest people in your book.

Labels: , ,

7 Comment:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Kristina Left a note...

Trailers are certainly hot right now, and I think every author needs them. I've made my own before, but I think with my next book I might hire someone to create one. I do wonder what will happen when *every* book has a trailer...Will trailers just become more Internet noise? It will be interesting to see.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Peter N. Jones Left a note...

I agree, having a trailer is another excellent way to market and promote your books. Although the jury is still out on how effective they are, I think they are worth it. If you use TubeMogul you can submit your trailer to multiple sites at once, which is always nice.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Team RCIA Left a note...

Hi Terry. What a terrific trailer. Have you noticed any impact from it?

Nick Wagner
TeamRCIA.com

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Nick,

People have purchased the book after watching the trailer which is always the proof in my view. People have to hear about a book multiple times before they fully appreciate the value of a product. I see the trailer as one more piece of ammunition in that process.

Terry

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

From years in TV and Movies in Promotion and preforming I can tell you this with out hesitation: Trailers work if you have something to say...." The Bandit Project.com

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Avily Jerome Left a note...

Thanks for posting that resource! Book trailers are some of the coolest things I've ever seen!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Susan Barnes Left a note...

Just wondering where you have gone, Terry? Does your new job mean you are not blogging anymore?

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration you have been to me.

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...