____________________________________

Monday, July 24, 2017


Review Your Business Card for Key Basics


I've become an expert at skimming business cards on the spot with writers. My actions spring from my own frustration with missing information. Over the years, I've exchanged thousands of cards with people at writer's conferences. When I did not glance at the card on the spot, I would tuck it into my pocket, take it home, then discover missing information like a phone number or email or mailing address. As an editor, it would force me to email this person and gather the missing information (wasting time and energy).

The best time to gather this missing information is when you are meeting face to face with this person. Recently I was in Nashville for a Morgan James Publishing author event. I met a number of authors at this event and exchanged business cards. One of these authors, a medical doctor-turned-writer-podcaster, lived nearby in Boulder, Colorado. When we exchanged cards, I glanced at the information and it only contained his website. There was no email address nor phone number. He said, “My email address is on my website and I want people to go to my website.” It was good to know he had a rationale for the missing information—but I still collected it on the spot and wrote his email and phone on his business card. Others might not have his information from his business card but I gathered this important data on the spot.

When I attend events, my business card is one of the key tools that I use. Some of my long-term friends are amused at the changes in my business card over the years. I've added and improved my cards. Each time I reprint, I evaluate the information to see if it contains what I need. Because I work for a New York publisher, I have a business card which contains my photo, direct dial phone number, work email, and other information. Here's my Morgan James business card:
Whalin Morgan James business card - Front

Whalin Morgan James business card - back
Yet I live in Colorado and I'm also an author with my own blog, local mailing address and books. In recent years, I've been carrying two business cards. The local card shows off this information. Here's the front and back of my personal business card:
Whalin Personal Business Card - Front
Whalin Personal Business Card - Back
Since I've shown you what I'm using for my business card. Now take a minute to review your card and make sure it includes the basics:

*a current photo

*your phone and email address

*your physical address (or at least your city to give the receiver your time zone)

*twitter name

*blog website

*giveaway to build your email list (one of the most important author tools)

How did you do on the basics? Are you missing something? The most difficult element to proofread is something that is missing. That's why we need a checklist to make sure you cover everything. If you are missing some element maybe it's time to reprint your business cards.

Let me know your experience with business cards in the comments below.

Tweetable:

Is Your Business Card Missing An Important Element? Review the basics here.  (ClickToTweet)
 AddThis Social Bookmark Button


SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Blog Milestone:

With this article, I've gone over 1400 entries in the Writing Life. I've been writing this blog since 2009 and posting only one article a week, takes time to reach such a mark. There is a massive amount of information in these entries. If you have never used it, I have a search tool in the right hand column of the blog (scroll down to locate it). You can use it to find information on different topics—and I often use this tool to find past entries.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comment:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger Angela Schans Left a note...

Dear Terry! How I WISH I had read your article before meeting you tonight at dinner and giving you my worthless business card! I'm so thankful that you pointed out at dinner, and in the blog exactly what a good business card needs! I can't wait to order some new cards! Now I just need to read your next article on creative uses for worthless business cards. :D Thanks so much for providing great resources on your blog!

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Angela,

Learning and growing is a key part of the writing life--nothing to beat yourself up about. Be encouraged, make changes and move ahead. It's what we all do. It was a delight to meet you in Philly and thank you for this comment.

Terry

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...