____________________________________

Tuesday, April 21, 2009


The Power of Observation

Between last Friday and Sunday, I spent nine hours on an airplane. That's what happens when you sign up to speak at a conference in Baltimore, Maryland and you live in the Phoenix area. Yes, I had a direct flight but any way you travel it is still 4.5 hours each way. It gives you a lot of time to work, catch up on some writing and reading while others are sleeping around you.

The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective by Andy Andrews is one of the books that I completed during the flights. Here's a quick read which could become one of the most important books that you read all year.

Andy tells about a man simply named Jones and his profound impact on his world around him through active observation. Jones doesn't just notice his world. He gets actively involved in the lives of different people that he notices--including a profound effect on Andy Andrews at a critical juncture.

When I read any book, I'm always intrigued with where they find the title for the book. Often it is early and other times it is buried deep in the book--like The Noticer when Andy describes an incident from years ago as a young man:

"Jones looked around at me and winked, then said to Jason, "I am a noticer. It is my gift. While others may be able to sing well or run fast. I notice things that other people overlook. And you know most of them are in plain sight." The old man cocked his head. "I notice things about situations and people that produce perspective. That's what most folks lack--perspective--a broader view. So I give 'em that broader view...and it allows them to regroup, take a breath, and begin their lives again." (page 130-131).

I recommend you read The Noticer but also I encourage you to follow Jones example and increase your personal power of observation and how you can impact the people around you.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Labels: , ,

1 Comment:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger Debbie Petras Left a note...

Since I have family in Florida, I'm familiar with the long flights from Phoenix. I love to read and so I understand getting through a book on the flight. What a great way to pass time and enjoy.

The book sounds interesting. How few people actually pay attention and observe. Most people are more interested in themselves and don't notice others unless there's something unusual. Thanks for the teaser to this book. I think you need to get a Kindle. It's so convenient because I can have lots of books from which to choose on my trip.

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...