____________________________________

Monday, May 28, 2007


The Importance of Gratitude

Many people in the United States are kicking back today, enjoying a day off and the beginning of the summer season. It's a holiday called Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day to celebrate our freedom and honor the men and women who died in military service protecting our freedom. Many of us can think of a relative or a friend or an acquaintance who has died in the service of their country. Take a few minutes to pause and remember that person today and celebrate their sacrifice. It’s a step that I'm going to take in my own day.

More than a holiday event, also consider the importance of gratitude in your own life. How are you practicing it? Are you looking for ways to express gratitude and thanks? For me, I'm better at certain times of my life than others. Last week I called an editor friend and left a short message expressing my appreciation for something but then I took it an additional step. I physically wrote a brief thank you note and mailed it to the editor. My handwriting is a bit challenging to read (even my printing) but I'm certain she will note my appreciation.

How are you facing your writing work? With thankfulness or drudgery? Can you make an attitude adjustment and face it with gratitude? Instead of looking at the glass as half empty, look at it as half full. Instead of obstacles, ask for a new vision to see them as opportunities. This perspective combined with an attitude of gratitude will help you have joy in the midst of the deadlines.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comment:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger C.J. Darlington Left a note...

Great reminder, Terry. Thanks.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Richard L. Mabry, MD Left a note...

Terry,
Dare I say, "Amen?" On all counts. Thanks.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Jeanie R Left a note...

Terry,
Thanks for speaking out. Most of our holidays have degenerated into an excuse for a BBQ and extra shopping time. Our national legacy for reflection and response has much more depth than we usually see today.

I was so blessed by the report of the big fund raiser planned for this weekend to help support the work of the Philadelphiia Mom who lost her son in Iraq...the woman who has been sending huge "care" shipments to troops ever since.

Our holidays can and should be signigicant. Hats off to those who are leading the charge!

Jeanie R

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...