____________________________________

Saturday, May 12, 2007


Break The Ice

Have you ever entered a new group of people and wondered, "How in the world will I begin a conversation? What's a good question to ask?" There is an old proverb that goes something like: The man with many friends must consider himself friendly. At least you've got the Terry Whalin spin on this saying since I don't recall where I picked it up.

A week or so ago, John Jantsch, author of Duct Tape Marketing, wrote on his blog about Scott Ginsberg, who is known as the name tag guy. He pointed out several free ebooks on Ginsberg's website. I downloaded the PDF files to my desktop and promptly did not read them. Today I got around to reading them. One or two of them, I didn't find valuable but several of them I've actually printed and read. I don't agree with everything but they have some good ideas and are worth your attention in my view. Let Me Ask Ya This has some good ideas for breaking the ice and starting a fascinating conversation with a new person. It's a good resource to help you build some relationships.

Over the last few days, I've been listening to a recorded message from John Kremer, author of 1001 Ways to Market Your Book. John says that one of the keys to selling your book--at any stage of the process is to continue to build and foster relationships. Each of us need all of the tools we can get in this process so if reading Scott Ginsberg's ebook of conversation starters helps you to build relationships, then you need to use it.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comment:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger Book Marketing Bestsellers Left a note...

Thanks, Terry, for a mention. I do hope that your readers listen to the audio call I did. Lots of good information in a Q&A format. -- John Kremer

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Bryce B Left a note...

A lot of people think its "who you know" that determines your ability to succeed. Even if that were true, I don't think just "knowing" would ever be enough. Like you said, you have to build the relationships.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun Left a note...

I've been spending so much time online "developing" relationships that I think I still have a husband hanging around here somewhere *snort*!

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...