____________________________________

Saturday, March 01, 2014


At 110, Let's Mark a Dr. Seuss Milestone


It has never been my writing gift to write rhyming verse. This talent is especially important for children's books. The man who wrote The Cat in the Hat and other children's classics, Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel would have turned 110 tomorrow (Sunday, March 2nd).

As a child, I loved Dr. Seuss' sixth book, McElligot's Pool and asked my mother to read it over and over until she almost couldn't read it again. 

Each morning I read The Orange County Register and in Friday's newspaper, they had a beautiful illustration of Dr. Seuss celebrating his publishing life and his 110th birthday. Thankfully I found it saved as a PDF when I searched online. Make sure you follow this link to see the full effect.

Many beginning writers have this mistaken idea that they can sit down and in a few minutes whip out a children's book. From my years in this business, it's rare for anyone to write a quick children's book. Instead every word in these books is a labor of love and carefully selected and crafted to work.

Today I want to celebrate the gift and talent of Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel and the way his work continues to be something which children love and demand be read to them over and over. How many times have you read Go Dog Go or Green Eggs and Ham?

What is your favorite Dr. Seuss book?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend



Author 101 University Online

Labels: , ,

0 Comment:

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...