____________________________________

Friday, September 08, 2006


From Simple to Milestone

In December 2004, I decided to try a new forum for me called blogging. My first entry, “Dream About Full-time Writing?” is still out there—one of the characteristics of these entries unless the creator removes them. For my second entry, I asked, “Why Begin Writing Books?” For my third entry, I wrote “ I Resolve Not to Resolve But to Change.” Can you tell it’s written on December 31, 2004?

Over the months, these entries about the writing life have improved and changed (at least I hope they are improving) and my number of readers continues to increase. I know the appearance of these entries definitely improved (thanks, Darlene). In recent months, I added a search tool to the blog in the right-hand column. You can type in key words like rejection or submissions or manuscripts or children or bestsellers or books or whatever—and easily find my different entries. If no one else uses it, I use it almost every day in my writing and editing life.

500th-PostLike any worthwhile venture, I’ve taken my share of criticism for this effort on the writing life. Some people wonder why I do it or they dream up other ways I should be using my time. Others have written and told me I need a copy editor. You know who you are. I’ve encouraged those folks to not read it. I spell check it and put it out there—not laboring over every word like a book manuscript or a magazine article or a book proposal. It’s a different quick format where I hopefully have provided encouragement and insight and a slice of what I’m learning as an editor and writer (and it’s a continual learning curve here).  There is a lot of my life over the last year and a half that I’ve left out and that’s OK. This place is focused and themed and directed (something else to think about for your own writing).  Why am I rumbling about the journey? Don’t worry, I have every intention of continuing. This post marks my 500th entry about the writing life and it seemed appropriate to mark the milestone.  They say a new blog is launched every eight seconds and many of them have half a dozen entries (or less). Consistency and volume count for something.

I’ve always loved the comic pages of the newspaper. I’ve got a small collection of books from one of my favorites “Shoe.” Several years ago I protested when the Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph took Shoe out of their newspaper. Now I have to read it online since it is also not in the Arizona Republic.  The humor in comics is a great teacher for writers—because good humor is always based on some truth told in a funny and thought-provoking manner. While I haven’t seen all of them, I’ve enjoyed Tales from the Slush Pile which appears in Publisher’s Weekly. It follows the trials and tribulations of a children’s book writer. Just look at installment #39 about how writers get lost in their writing. Or the first installment about how everyone is trying to write the great American novel (more truth than fiction here or so it seems to this editor).  I created this little link to take me to the latest installment each time.

Until my next entry, don’t forget to find moments to laugh and keep writing. I’ll do the same.

12 Comment:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine Left a note...

Happy 500th Blog! And many more, please. I have learned so much here--for my own writing and blog and for my own life. Applicable lessons. Thanks for being so willing to share what you have learned and are learning. Oh, and I'm trying to laugh more. Truly.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Ernie W. Left a note...

Congratulations Terry on the 500th blog. I look forward to your blogs read them with the intent to learn something new, or jog my memory about something in the writing life I've forgotten. I value your experience both as a writer and editor, and have benefited from your sharing of that knowledge.
Thanks and I look forward to many more years of your blogs.
Ernie Wenk
Clackamas, OR

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Lisa Biggs Crum Left a note...

Congrats on the milestone. Thanks for taking time to blog. Yours is the only blog I read regularly.

Loved the Tales from the Slush Pile. #2 was especially funny to me. http://snipurl.com/slushpile2

Lisa Crum
http://SproutofaMustardSeed.blogspot.com

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun Left a note...

Congratulations on reaching this great milestone...and I wish you many more..uh, er, milestones that is!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Susan Barnes Left a note...

I've heard it said that good humor is a slight exaggeration of the truth so humor can be a great teacher. Besides which people really do need to laugh more. Thanks for the reminder.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Cindy Thomson Left a note...

Congrats, Terry, and thank you for writing this blog.

Cindy

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Catherine West Left a note...

Terry,
Many congratulations on your 500th blog!
Amazing!
May God grant you wisdom to share with us for many years to come. You are a true blessing to the writing community.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee Left a note...

Thank you for doing what you do to help us beginners dip our big toes into the murky waters. Just yesterday I told my husband all about "The Writing Life," and how you generously advise, admonish and encourage your readers. I have come to depend on "The Writing Life" for daily coaching that invariably ends with, "Now go out there and get 'em, Tiger." Your goodwill toward writers comes shining right through your entries. Please keep sharing your wealth of wisdom and experience. We sincerely appreciate it.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger C.J. Darlington Left a note...

Congrats, Terry! It's been great to be along for the ride. It's amazing you've been able to keep it up. Kudos.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Sheryl Left a note...

Congratulations Terry on your 500th blog entry! That is quite some accomplishment.

I have learned so much from your blog. You always write the truth with grace and love, and it's greatly appreciated.

I look forward to the next 500 entries.

Blessings,
Sheryl

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Heather Ivester Left a note...

Congratulations on your 500th post! I continue to learn something new every time I stop in. I also appreciate the fellowship here among like-minded friends and writers. I discovered Darlene's blog through your blogroll, and now I'm one of her columnists for Christian Women Online. Thanks!
P.S. I read in the Sept. issue of the Christian Communicator that your book is the "current bestseller" for your publisher. Congratulations on that too!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger The Encourager Left a note...

Congratulations, Terry! Please keep those posts coming. I'm benefiting from your knowledge and experience on both sides of the desk.

Thanks......Ed

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...