____________________________________

Sunday, October 18, 2020


My Necessary Daily Habit

 


By Terry Whalin @terrywhalin

 
While I've written about many aspects of the writing life in these articles, I'm going to give one today that is deeply personal and I haven't discussed yet is critical for life. One of my first actions every day is to plop my bathroom scale on the floor, stand on it and check my weight. During the early days of the pandemic, my number continued to climb. In fact, I had to go to a larger pants size and even some days squeezed into those pants.
 
A month or so ago, my wife and I decided to make changes in our eating. We got a new book about the South Beach diet and changed many of our eating habits. My daily weight number began to drop. A few days ago I got into my smaller pants so it is working. I'm not totally where I want to be for weight but I'm headed in the right direction. In the last 25 years, Christine has watched me go through this process at least four times. It is a daily decision to stay the course.
 
To be honest, I love to eat anything sweet and many other foods not on my current eating plans. Several weeks ago I saw my doctor and my blood pressure was elevated. He suggested I go on some blood pressure medicine and did not even mention about my increased weight. I have not taken the medicine and instead began to work on reducing my weight. I return to the doctor again next month to see what has happened with my intention to eat different foods and less salt and sodium.
 
Change is hard and I'm going against the genetics in my family. One of my relatives in the 1800s was over 300 pounds and it took several men to lift him in a chair for his baptism. Yes this story is a part of my printed family history. The men in my family have always been known as “big” which is code for overweight. The change is a moment by moment choice. I've also learned my weight has little to do with exercise (and movement is also important) and everything to do with what I eat.
 
Less weight affects my energy level and many other factors in my writing life. I expect my family doctor will be surprised next month when I see him. I hope you can see that accountability is important. Go through this process with someone else supporting your commitment to change. It will lengthen your life and your time on the planet to do more writing work.
 
This article tells about a personal choice I've made with my weight. What personal choices are you making? Let me know in the comments below.
 
Tweetable:

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comment:

At 4:40 AM, Blogger Unknown Left a note...

Terry,

I so appreciate your honesty. I'm in a similar situation concerning my sugar tooth! I think the big lesson for me is that small changes really matter, so I do what I can to benefit my health daily....making gradual food choice changes and incorporating a "battle buddy" to be accountable to have helped me move forward with better health choices. Thanks for sharing! Blessings on your journey!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Thanks for the comment. Our weight is not easy for anyone but an important part of the writing journey--especially since we sit a lot writing. I appreciated the feedback and encouragement.

Terry

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...