____________________________________

Sunday, July 29, 2007


Jott A Note To Yourself

Last weekend I was in the John Wayne airport waiting for my flight home from the Southern California Writers Association. The airport gift shop included some items celebrating 100 years of John Wayne. I almost purchased something that I didn't need--another coffee mug. Why?

I loved the saying on the inside of the coffee cup. In fact, I pulled out a scrap of paper and wrote it down: "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." I suspect each one of us face situations where we are scared to death and summon the courage to saddle up anyway and move ahead. It was a line worth remembering--even if I didn't purchase the mug.

I wrote down this saying using the tried and true method of pen and paper. Because my script is difficult to read, I usually print the words--and depending on the care I take when I do it, even those words are a challenge to read sometimes.

With a tip of the hat to Mike Hyatt's excellent blog, I've learned a new method to jott these notes or memos and have them magically appear in my in box without cost. He wrote about a service called Jott.com.

The registration is simple. You confirm your email where you want the note to be sent. You also confirm your cell phone number and say where you want the note to go or "me." I've tried it several times and the transcription is accurate and comes within about 15 minutes of the recording. It's perfect for many different applications--and it’s free. Jott.com provides a number of ways to use the service.

Labels: , ,

3 Comment:

At 5:15 PM, Blogger Richard L. Mabry, MD Left a note...

Terry,
Thanks for pointing us at what sounds like a wonderful service. It would seem a logical replacement for the old hand-held recorders we used in the past for "notes to self." On the site, I noticed this section in the service agreement. Could you let us know if the ads turn out to be a major nuisance or just a minor thing? Thanks again.

"Advertisements on Jott Services. As consideration for using the Service, you agree and understand that Jott will display ads and other information adjacent to and related to the content of your jotts."

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Richard,

There are no ads that I noticed on the service--but I haven't explored it to the fullest extent. Maybe they were there and I missed them. I suspect Jott is planning ads in the future and simply including those possibilities in their agreement. There probably will be some price in the future--that is if Jott will survive.

Terry

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger chrispancho Left a note...

I'm guessing they haven't been advertising because they are still in public beta. (Not for long) From my understanding, Jott is coming out with a business model which they will be charging for. BUT a free version will stay up. (thank god!)

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...