____________________________________

Friday, December 21, 2007


Book Reviews Count More Than You Know

I'm always amazed at the little energy that some book authors put into book reviews and comments from readers. Often it doesn't take much on their part but it can have some large pay offs in terms of visibility in the marketplace and book sales. One thing is for certain--book reviews do not happen whether online or in print publications unless someone works at it. Most frequently that "someone" is the author who has the greatest interest and passion for their book and the contents.

Here's a recent example for you with the largest online bookstore on the planet, Amazon.com. The Golden Compass movie has brewed a controversy and a ho-hum appearance in the box office despite millions of dollars of advertising and well-known actors. At the recommendation of an editor friend, I picked up Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware's book, Shedding Light on His Dark Materials. Follow this link and you will go to the page on Amazon. Scroll down and you will see the book released in mid-September. My review posted in early December was the first one about this book. This week another review was added but often my reviews are the only one on the page for a book and in particular if the author is not working at gathering book reviews. While I am not one of Amazon's top reviewers, I have posted over 170 reviews about many types of books.

I recommend you read Steve Weber's excellent guide Get your book reviewed on Amazon and boost your sales. You will learn some of the inside information about what can result from Amazon reviews. It will possibly stir you to action in this area.

Anyone can write one of these So you'd like to…guides on Amazon. I wrote one called So you'd like to…Publish A Book, Insight From An Editor. If you look at the little graphic that I've added from this page over 500 people have downloaded this guide since I created it in January--which equates to great exposure in my view. It's another marketing strategy to consider and add to your plans for 2008.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comment:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger Mike Dellosso Left a note...

Wow, thanks for this great info, Terry. Steve Weber's guide looks very helpful and I will make sure to study it in-depth and follow his advice when my book hits Amazon.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine Left a note...

I was a paid book review (critic)columnist for years and I always felt too busy, and also I did not want to give up my "rights" to the reviews I wrote. However, I have quit this type of writing now (only do reviews sporadically for a small magazine.)

I love the lists on Amazon and often read those. I've gotten books based on the reviews, and I've purchased hundreds of books. So, you are so right; reviews at Amazon do make a difference.

When someone mentions a book on a blog and then provides the link to Amazon, I'm influenced, too.

Good advice, Terry.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Stephanie Reed Left a note...

I'd be honored to add you to my influencer's list for a free copy of my new book which comes out in April in exchange for an Amazon review. It's a sequel and you can find out more about it here:

http://www.shoutlife.com/profile_view.cfm?uid=12200

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun Left a note...

Great info!

Merry Christmas Terry!

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Terry Whalin Left a note...

Stephanie,

Thanks for your comment but you are much better off sending me an indiviual email--where you send me your email address--than posting such a request here. My email is:
terry@terrywhalin.com and I look forward to hearing from you.

Terry

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Kristi Holl Left a note...

As always, you provide us with a wealth of solid information. I know that you personally rescued one my own books that got a bad review on Amazon with a good review of your own and a recommendation that I get others to review it ASAP. I followed your advice (finally) and the star rating went from 2 to 4.5. Even having one negative review can be harmful when we don't have the positive reviews to off-set it. Again, thanks for your excellent information.

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

Terry,

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about the So You'd Like to . . . feature at Amazon. I'll have to take a look.

I appreciate your post.

Terry

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Nature Nut /JJ Loch Left a note...

Squee! What a great blog. I plan to read it all.

I've written Amazon reviews for my favorite authors.:D I'm always bubbling over after a great read.

One day I hope to have reviews too.

JJ :D

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Vicki Left a note...

Terry, hope your New Year is off to a great start. Thanks for all you do to encourage us.

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...