____________________________________

Friday, February 10, 2006


A Curious Story about George

As a child and as a parent, I have spent hours reading Curious George books. Today the new movie, Curious George, from producer Ron Howard enters the theaters.  Yesterday I was listening to NPR and heard an interview with Louise Borden, author of The Journey That Saved Curious George. It revealed some interesting insight into the authors, H.A. and Margaret Rey. Journey Saved Curious George cover

In 1940, the German Nazi army was marching toward Paris, France and people were fleeing with the clothes on their back. Two unknown Jewish artists gathered a few belongings and got on bicycles to flee away from the German Army. Among their limited possessions, Hans and Margaret Rey carried their unpublished watercolor drawings. Eventually these drawings became the first Curious George book. Today more than 30 million Curious George books have been sold worldwide.  Here’s the link to download this 10–minute MP3 interview with Louise Borden.

While this background story about the Reys is fascinating, it can only be told in hindsight. It has a storybook, bestselling ending with millions of books in print.  At the time, I’m certain the Reys had dreams for their drawings and their story idea, but no certainty it would happen. They eventually made the right connection so the first book was published. Now Curious George is one of the classics of children’s literature.

What are you doing today to move ahead your writing dreams? Planning to attend a writer’s conference or read a how-to writing book? Or spending time writing on a magazine article or your book proposal? If you keep moving ahead with your dreams and plans, maybe you will be able to look back with wonder at your amazing journey—like Curious George.

3 Comment:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger C.J. Darlington Left a note...

Thanks for the encouragement in this post, Terry. Sometimes it's easy to get bogged down and forget that in a few years I'll be able to look back on my life, and hopefully be pleased with what I see -- reminds me to keep striving for excellence in my writing, and everything else too.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Unknown Left a note...

Just call me "Curious Pam" - reading, researching writer's and how they got started, attending conferences, meeting deadlines for my column, working on a new proposal - one out in the mix already, and teaching kids on Sundays(16 yrs).

I tend to be a a little nosey anyway, so curious is a nice way of describing me.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Marcia Lee Laycock Left a note...

I too found this very encouraging, Terry. It made me wonder if they thought twice about taking the ms. along. Did they have doubts about its value? Did they think they were crazy for packing it along when they were fleeing for their lives? The story makes me think of what I value, and the things I may be missing that God intends to use.
Hope it's okay that I point others to this on my blog.
Blessings, Marci

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...