____________________________________

Friday, September 12, 2008


What Is the Platform & Book Proposal Connection

On a regular basis, writers will ask me, "How can I build a platform to increase my visibility in the market?"

Throughout my over 20 years in publishing, I've learned one simple truth. Traditional publishers make powerful books. They have great distribution and attractive covers. Ready for the simple truth? Most of them are lacking in the ability to help their authors sell books. Authors can't delegate that responsibility to their publishers. Whether you write fiction or nonfiction, you still need to be building your platform. Fiction is based on a great story and nonfiction is based on a great idea, careful research and storytelling. Both types of writing need to have excellent storytelling--but my contention is that every author will be better positioned to actually reach customers and sell books if they have built an audience or platform which is hungry for their work.

Maybe you have questions about this process and where to start, then I've got a resource for you. Next Tuesday, September 16th, I will be talking with Rosey Dow about this matter and answering your questions. Follow this link to sign up and attend the live event. If you can't attend the event, then still sign up because the session will be recorded and you can listen to the replay.

But wait a minute because there is more. I've pulled together a number of my entries from The Writing Life into a free 31-page Ebook called Platform Building Ideas For Every Author. The links inside this book are active (clickable). I put it together so each reader can have a useful resource.

Next week's teleseminar is a preview call before the Spread the Word conference in Atlanta, Georgia. I will be speaking on this topic of platform and book proposal creation.

I hope you can participate in next week's teleseminar but I also hope to see you at the conference in Atlanta. Click the banner to learn more:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Labels: , , ,

3 Comment:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Carol Left a note...

Hey Terry! Sounds like you're going to be in my neck of the woods - Atlanta. Sounds like it's going to be fun! I'm sure you'll have lots of great stuff to share.
Blessings! ~Carol Hatcher

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Kristi Holl Left a note...

Terry, that is so generous of you! Your e-book pulls together a lot of ideas--and thanks for the live links. Incredibly helpful. What a gift to those of us who feel overwhelmed by the whole idea.
Kristi Holl
Writer's First Aid

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Kristi Holl Left a note...

I worked at the hurricane evacuee shelter last night and missed the call. Hopefully there will be a link to the recording in my Inbox soon. 8-) No pressure, Terry!
Kristi Holl
Writer's First Aid blog

 

Post a Comment


That's the writing life...

Back to the home page...